Okay, so yesterday I thought about posting a Bok Choy recipe but alas, that will have to wait, because today is National Zucchini Bread Day! Seems like the most appropriate recipe to post is my children’s favorite Zucchini Bread! It is moist, healthy and delicious. Tomorrow you will get the zucchini poem and soon, very soon, a recipe for Bok Choy.
And this watercolor painting of zucchini is my art for my book Poems on Fruits & Odes to Veggies.
1 ½ C whole wheat flour
½ t baking soda
½ t baking powder
1 t cinnamon
½ t nutmeg
1/3 C vegetable oil
1/3 C unsweetened applesauce
2 T fat free sour cream
¾ C light brown sugar
2 t vanilla extract
2 C grated zucchini
- Heat oven to 325 F. Spray an 8 inch loaf pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In large bowl mix together flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- In separate bowl, whisk together egg, oil, applesauce, sour cream, sugar and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture to egg mixture and stir until well combined.
- Fold in grated zucchini then transfer to loaf pan. Bake until risen, golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, about 60 to 70 minutes.
- Cool in pan for 30 min. then remove bread from pan and continue to cool on rack.